thebritishbooknerd

The British Book Nerd

My name is Tiffa, I'm a book blogger and reviewer and I run the blog http://thebritishbooknerd.blogspot.co.uk. I love to blog about books and everything to do with books! I also create YouTube videos.
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series) - James Dashner Thomas wakes up in a dark lift moving slowly upwards, not knowing anything about himself except for his name. When the doors open, he's surrounded by boys of different ages and they welcome him to the Glade. The Glade is like a giant farmland surrounded by towering walls - which is in the centre of a huge, dangerous and terrifying maze. The maze isn't a simple maze though, during the night, creatures roam the halls looking to kill. Every night, the walls around the Glade close, and the walls in the maze shift, making different paths each day. From the first moment he hears what a 'runner' does, Thomas immediately wants to be one. Runners run around the maze each day, mapping out the area and trying to find a solution to the giant puzzle.

Usually I find male characters who narrate books annoying and I can never get into them, but I loved Thomas' character. He had a good sense of humour and was very selfless and put others before himself - he was definitely was one of my favourite characters. My second favourite character was Minho, the 'Keeper' of the runners. Even though he was a bit of a defeatist at times, I thought his character was really refreshing and funny. He was one of the boys that took Thomas by his word and believed the things he said.

As for the storyline in general, I found it amazing - it's so original! I've never read anything like this before. One thing that did annoy me at the first of the book, is the 'lingo' that the boys use throughout the book. Words like 'Shank' and 'Klunk', they drove me insane for the first 150 pages, but after that, I grew used to it and it just became second nature for the boys to be using the words constantly.

I loved this book - it's as simple as that. The reason why I only gave it 4/5 stars is because it took me well over 70 pages to actually get into it - but when I did, I couldn't put it down! Something I found funny about the way I was reading this book, was that whenever there was dialogue, I found myself reading the speech in a Scottish accent. Weird, right?

James Dashner's writing is amazing and pretty much flawless. He created such strong and interesting characters and such an amazing and interesting world. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book in this trilogy, The Scorch Trials - I have a feeling it will be just as amazing as the first book. :)