thebritishbooknerd

The British Book Nerd

My name is Tiffa, I'm a book blogger and reviewer and I run the blog http://thebritishbooknerd.blogspot.co.uk. I love to blog about books and everything to do with books! I also create YouTube videos.
Forgotten - Cat Patrick I’d been really excited about starting this novel for quite a while now, and I was not disappointed. Forgotten is a short novel, coming in at just under 300 pages. However, don’t judge it by the length, the story is heart-wrenching and moving, you won’t want to put it down!

London Lane is pretty much like every other girl her age – apart from the fact that at around 4am every morning, her mind resets and her past, and the things she’s done the day before becomes a complete blank. How does she get on with life and go to school you say? Every night before she goes to sleep, she jots down everything that’s happened that day in a journal, for her to read when she wakes. She also gets by with the help of her Mum and best friend, Jamie. During a fire drill one day at school, she meets gorgeous and handsome Luke – the new kid who’s just transferred there. As their relationship grows, everyday London has to remind herself how much she loves and adores him – even though he seems a complete stranger to her every day. Around the time that London meets Luke, her best friend, Jamie starts to go off the rails – starting a relationship with a young, married teacher – she also finds out her mum is lying to her about her past, including her father.

I loved London’s character – she was such a delight to read and really refreshing. I think she has incredible strength to continue on living the way she does. I can’t image the stress it would cause me to have to live with something like she does. Aside from having her mind wiped clean every day, London gets flashes of the future. She’ll know about an argument before it’ll happen and she’ll know what she’s going to wear to school tomorrow. Of course, there may be perks about having this ability, but there are definitely downsides to it as well. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to know my future before it happened. I wouldn’t want to walk the earth knowing when bad things would occur, knowing I was powerless to stop them. Especially if you knew when you were going to die – I think you’d end up being like a walking time-bomb.

Moving onwards to Luke’s character – I loved him. Even through all London’s weirdness, and the fact that she couldn’t remember any of their time together – Luke loved her. I think most guys would probably think she was being rude when; the day after they met, London didn’t have a clue who Luke was. Yet Luke stayed and I thought his character was so sweet. Their relationship was quite predictable at times and sort of like insta-love, however – it wasn’t over done like in a lot of different romance novels – so it didn’t really bug me all too much. I think that Luke is an important character in London’s life, helping her to piece back together her past and change her future.

As for Jamie’s character – I loved her too! She and London had such an amazing friendship. She’d constantly help London fill in the blanks from the previous day and was always there for her. Even during their argument – Jamie can’t help but worry over London and she helps her when she needs it. It must be just as painful to watch someone you care about struggling to piece together previous conversations and possibly losing important information they’ve been told. I feel like Jamie (and London’s mum), are incredible in that aspect and I’m pretty sure London wouldn’t be able to live without them in her life.

I can’t stress enough about how much I loved this book, I read it in two long sittings and only managed to put it down when exhaustion overcame me. The book flowed so smoothly between chapters and there were constant twists and turns – leaving my wondering what would happen next. The reason I gave this book 4/5 stars instead of 5/5 was because I felt the ending was quite rushed – I thought it could have gone into more depth and finished the book slightly differently, but overall this novel was incredible. Cat Patrick is an amazing writer and I wait to read her other books.